Friday, May 16, 2008

Fuck you gigantic root plant/weeds

David and I decided that we should have a day where we don't hang out after he gets off work. Then he can do things like go for bike rides or work on bikes or hang out with violet or other things that I don't need to do. I like to call it Davie-only day even though it serves the same purpose for me. Yesterday for Davie-only day it was super sunny and nice, so when I got home from work I put my homework on hold and worked in the garden a ton. Here's some pictures of our garden beds. I don't have a picture of the bed we moved from the last house, its a story in itself.

This bed has snowpeas, collard greens, a corn stalk, an onion, red lettuce, spinach and broccoli.

The second bed has a tomato, onions and broccoli.

This one isn't done yet, but has strawberries, snowpeas and brussel sprouts. Lots of starts and things I don't know where they are going yet sit in this box.

I was excited to find a spearmint plant in the yard yesterday. I've heard from neighbors that some old people used to live here who gardened a lot, so I expected to find some herbs toughing it out. I hope that they weren't the people who planted or allowed to live this ridiculous gigantic root plant i've been weeding everywhere. When i first weeded the garden beds I got one that was about as wide as my arm, David was pretty impressed. Yesterday I got a most gigantic one, It did break off underground but it was at least a foot down so maybe I'll have a month before I'll have to weed it again. I was so proud I took a picture of it.


Yesterday was the first day the spinach was tender enough to eat raw, so that was pretty exciting. I also went on a mini cleaning spree inside the house, sweeping, shaking out rugs and recycling. It must be spring time yey! More veggie tales soon.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

that's one big-ass root!